Key Club’s ALS Ice Bucket Challenge

Jessica Qian, Head Editor

Math teacher Cory Loveless, math teacher Duane Broe and German teacher Lisa Mulvaney were all nominated to participate in Key Club’s Ice Bucket Challenge for ALS (Amyotrophic lateral sclerosis) on Sept. 26th during second lunch. The teacher with the most votes, Loveless, was selected to be drenched in ice water, but the key club members surprised Broe with his own bucket of ice water and Mulvaney with a bucket of confetti.

“Preston really wanted to surprise Broe, so we decided that all teachers would be iced, but Mulvaney chickened out, ” Key Club member Kelly Tran said.

Though Loveless had already done the Ice Bucket Challenge in the past, he volunteered to do it again because he wants to support the cause any way he can.

“I think it’s important to spread advocacy for the disease and for the foundation, so if all it takes is a cold shower, I’m in,” Loveless said.

Inspired by the multiplying Ice Bucket Challenge videos, Tran came up with her clever take on the challenge. With her idea, Key Club raised over $50 for ALS.

“I saw that a majority of students from our school were doing it on Facebook. Soon, I saw celebrities do it, so I thought it’d be fun to bring it to the teachers,” Tran said. “Provoking competition among the teachers is healthy for them and entertaining for us. It turned out pretty well, just as expected.”