ND Elite gives opportunities to students

Genna Myers, Staff Writer

The North Dakota Elite team offers an alternative cheer and dance opportunity for students of all ages. The group strives to make dancers and cheerleaders progress in their ability to show that strength and endurance are key to an athlete’s success.

Several West Fargo High students dance competitively with ND Elite. ND Elite coach Kallista Nilson said she enjoys working with the dancers on the ND Elite team,

“The dancers at ND Elite are incredibly fun, unique, hard-working and definitely keep us coaches on our toes,” Nilson said. “These dancers love to dance and it is evident when they come to practice.”

The ND Elite competitive season began with multiple top three finishes. They also received best choreography and best uniform awards within the first three competitions. The group, which consists of youth and junior teams, will have one last competition in Brookings, SD on March 30.

Both junior and youth teams received bids to compete at The Dance Summit in Orlando, FL in May.

“They have a drive to achieve their personal and team goals and work together every practice to achieve them,” Nilson said.

Weather conditions have complicated preparation for some of their competitions.

“Weather this year has been a big challenge with traveling for competitions and cancelling practices,” Nilson said. “Thankfully our group of dancers and parents are flexible and hard working and we have been able to make it to all our competitions.”

Freshman Alexis Jegtvig has been dancing for eight years and this is her first year with ND Elite. Jegtvig has been a part of three different dance groups in her career. She performs in both jazz and pop routines this season. Jegtvig says she really enjoys the ND Elite team.

“Everyone gets along and we are all friends and there’s no drama,” Jegtvig said. “It can be tough trying to get to know everybody and figuring out how some people dance and try to match them.”

Sophomore Peyton Moen has been dancing for 14 years and has been a part of two different dance groups. Moen is also participating in jazz and pom routines.

She said they have had to overcome some injuries and dancing with new, younger dancers always require an adjustment. However, they have experienced success.

“There’s so many new girls coming in every year we always struggle with their techniques,” she said. “We placed well in all of our competitions.”

Moen encourages anyone interested to join.

“We’re all close on the team, the girls and the guy on our team,” she said. “Anyone who wants to be a part of the team can join. We accept everybody.”