Senator Heidi Heitkamp observes computer technology class

Logan Ahern/Writer and Emily Chadwick/Photographer, Assistant Editor and Online Editor

Senator Heidi Heitkamp came with two representatives on October 7 from Microsoft, Kevin Wang and Don Morton, to observe how the TEALS (Technology Enhanced Active Learning) program was being incorporated into the computer technology classes.

“I was very curious about this program because I see a tremendous economic opportunity for the next generation of North Dakotans to be employed in this field,” Heitkamp said. “Be it at Microsoft or across any of these new startups we have in the Fargo Moorhead area, we need to grow this work force.”

The program developed by Kevin Wang, TEALS, focuses on teaching students how to do coding from professionals in the industry.

“There are very few high school teachers with the background to be able to teach an AP computer class,” Wang said. “We get volunteers from the technology industry or people with technology science degrees to go to high school classes early in the morning and teach a computer science program.”

Currently at West Fargo High School, two classes are being taught by Microsoft volunteers including the introductory to computer science class.

“This class is very advanced and these students have a great opportunity by taking the same class as college students in Seattle,” Wang said.

Students, including senior Mathew Zent, find the volunteers very beneficial and informative.

“At the beginning of the year we had four volunteers teaching the class and alternating each class period,” Zent said. “They are really great at teaching and are able to teach across a wide base of computer knowledge and make it easy for everyone to understand.”