Keep politics away from masks

Maiya Houle, Staff Writer

COVID-19 has taken a huge toll on our country this year. According the cdc.gov, it’s estimated that about 7.49 Americans have been affected by the virus, and about 210,000 have died from itAbout 22 million jobs have been lost due to the virus With the pandemicAmericans have been asked to social distance from others and wear masks in order to stop the spread of the virus. Individual states have chosen to take different precautions, some states mandating them and some, like North Dakota, not.  

Americans wear masks everywhere they go. Most stores and small businesses require masks but there are still many places that do not. Although these places may advise customers to wear masks, not all do which causes many problems for the customers around them as well the employees. 

According to the Center for Disease Control, “…CDC reviewed the latest science and affirms that cloth face coverings are a critical tool in the fight against COVID-19 that could reduce the spread of the disease, particularly when used universally within communities. Wearing face masks is an essential part to stopping the spread of COVID-19. It helps prevent particles flying from the mouth and infecting others around them. 

In order for schools being able to reopen in the fall, precautions had to have been taken. Class sizes are a lot smaller in order to support social distancing and masks are required for everyone. Recently, the governor of North Dakota, Doug Burgum, stated some new rules in schools regarding masks. Only cloth face coverings that cover your nose and mouth are allowed. Things like bandanas and gators are not. They believe with everyone wearing the correct and most effective mask, they will be able to reduce cases, and the quarantining of others who have come in contact with students who tested positive.   

There are many Americans who believe wearing a mask is political. People think it violates rights when a local store requires masks to shop there. State governments have mandated masks, not to be seen as a way of violating rights, but to protect the health and wellbeing of the American people. According to the American Hospital Association“What we should not do is make the adherence to masks a political issue...The bottom line is study after study has shown that wearing a mask can significantly reduce the chance of spreading the virus.”  Many Americans don’t know the importance of wearing masks. The misunderstanding of this means people normally put politics and wearing masks hand in hand. Wearing a mask is not political and it does not violate a person’s rights. It is a precaution taken by the government and Americans to help slow and stop coronavirus.