Students vote for the first time

DelRae Steiner, Co-Head Editor

With the 2018 North Dakota midterms around the corner, many West Fargo High School students are taking to the polls for the very first time. While the election might not be a presidential one, the midterm still has an impact on North Dakota.

Senior Alceeia Johnson is voting for the first time and is a little nervous. She feels kind of prepared for voting for the first time, but thinks she needs to do more research to feel confident in her votes. She is very excited to vote for the first time.

“When you turn 18 you are finally given the freedom to vote and having a say of what happens around you,” Johnson said. “I would like to be involved in that.”

According to Associated Press- National Opinion Research Center 36 percent of young voters are nervous about voting for the first time. With the access to the internet many first time voters feel confident in their votes.

Senior Jazmine Kauk is ready to vote and have an impact on the United States. She believes that every vote matters in the long run and every citizen should exercise their right to vote.

“It is kinda something I have always wanted to do just because I do not think people realize that their vote does make a difference and I think it is cool to get exposed to some stuff because I believe a lot of kids based their option on their parents,” Kauk said. “I think I do need to look more into it and see what each person is going for. I do get some of my information from [TV ads] and I think I should look into better sources and kinda get more information.”

Being informed about the what is on the ballot is a necessary part of voting. There are many different sources someone could look into.

Senior Paige Kraft feels prepared for the election and plans on exercising the right to vote. She gathered her information to be prepared from many different sources.

“I do feel prepared with all the ads going around on TV it is easy to choose a direction to follow. I get information from my parents and news reporters about the candidates,” Kraft said. “I believe that every vote counts. I am curious to see the process of it all.”