The Packer

Tracings become messangers of God

Band member Dan Peltier belts out a song as the band practices for their next performance.

Claire DeJong, Feature Editor

Tracings, a new up-and-coming Christian band, consists of five men who spread the word of God in a unique way because of their own style of music.

“We have influences from all over the place from all different genres so it’s kind of all thrown together,” senior Landon Regner said. “The main label you could put on it is post-hardcore.”

Tracings’ main point and message is to talk about the Bible and share the gospel, according to Regner. They are attempting to use their music and every aspect of their band as a method of ministry. Guitarist, 2007 graduate Dan Peltier, said they are not in the band for the fame and fortune, they are in it for the other people, their audience.

“I definitely have been through some rougher times in life and have made a lot of mistakes,” Peltier said. “Music was what turned me towards the truth; towards the light. That’s part of what inspired me to become a full-time musician. Wanting to help people who are where I was.”

While tracings is now ready to tour and is about to release a 5-song extended play (EP), the band itself had a rocky beginning. Tracings’ story began at a bachelor party where lead vocalist 2008 graduate Kyle Richards and Peltier met. When Richards and Peltier met, they knew they “had the same vision” for the band. They were both willing to tour without compromising

their creative integrity. So Richards, Peltier, and their friend, 2009 graduate Matt Harsch, began the band.

Another addition to the band was their friend, 2009 graduate Matt Adams, but shortly after

he joined the band, both Harsch and Adams decided that they had to quit the band. Once they left, it was back down to only Richards and Peltier, who were both a little discouraged at this point.

Despite the situation, the two band mates attempted to look for new members. While visiting his girlfriend in Fargo, Richards met future guitarist Sam Hauge who introduced the other members to Regner. Once in the band, Regner’s idea for a new drummer was 2011 graduate Sam

Pfaffe.

After finally completing the band line-up, the members knew that they still had other important issues to think about, such as the name of the band. While sitting around and just brainstorming, Richards and his drummer at the time came up with “tracings.”

“We, as a Christian band, believe that we were made in the image of God,” Peltier said. “That’s what Genesis tells us in the Bible. In the New Testament, it says we are to be like him. So there is the double meaning of how we’re made of tracings of God and we’re called to be tracings of God.”

The members of tracings all want to spread the word of God to others because they believe that God has blessed them with the opportunity to be involved with this band.

“We believe it was definitely God that brought us together,” Peltier said. “Six months ago, aside from me and Kyle, none of us knew each other. And six months later, we are all together in a band and looking to go full time with touring.”