Guests at A Night of Jazz dazzle the audience

Akriti Saxena, Assistant Editor

During the time between 7:30 and 9:00p.m. on Tuesday the 12th, the audience at West Fargo High theater listened to the sounds of the Cheney Middle School Jazz Band, West Fargo High School Jazz Band, and the West Fargo High School Jazz Ensemble. The concert also included guest saxophone soloist Russell Peterson and Vocalist Tonya Vetter, also known as the West Fargo High Activities Director.

The Night of Jazz started off with the Cheney Middle School Jazz Band performing the pieces Treasure, You’re Still a Young Man and Dark Horse. The popular Katy Perry music was arranged by Mr. Jason Carlson, Cheney Middle School’s very own band teacher. Along with conducting the players, Carlson was forced to rap a part of the song due to a missing band player.

The concert continued with the West Fargo High School Jazz Band featuring several soloists under the direction of Mr. Wade Stalboerger and Mrs. Sue Jordahl. Awards were handed out to students who participated in Jazz Band for four continuous years.

The West Fargo High School Jazz Ensemble also featured Russell Peterson and Tonya Vetter in the concert. Local saxophonist Peterson displayed his musical talent during a one-minute solo in the song ‘Georgia On My Mind’ arranged by him. Vetter, on the other hand accompanied the band with her vocal talent in the song ‘God Bless The U.S.A.’

The audience was not only dazzled by the guests, but also the students. Lisa Montplaisir, mother of Matt Montplaisir said she very much enjoyed the concert.

“It was fantastic, just fantastic,” Montplaisir said.