West Fargo FIRST Robotics teams competes in World Championship

Photo submitted by Bailey Aanenson

Photo submitted by Bailey Aanenson

Bailey Aanenson, Freelance Writer

The Herd, West Fargo’s FIRST Robotics Team, recently returned from the world championship in St. Louis, MO. They placed 7th overall in their quarterfinal division. They were seated 19th out of 75 teams in their division before being selected to join the 8th seed alliance after the first round of elimination. From there, the team played two rounds which determined their 7th place position in the tournament.

The goal of this year’s game, titled Recycle Rush, was to score points by placing totes up to six high and putting green rounded recycling bins on top with pieces of “litter” (pool noodles) inside. Teams could also score points from throwing pool noodles over a six foot wall and having them land on the opposing alliance’s field. To win the game the students had to have the highest average points per match after two matches.

The world championship was not just about the task and winning, however. The event featured over 600 teams from across the globe representing countries such as China, Germany, Israel, Mexico and Brazil. In total the event had over 40,000 students competing in eight divisions. The West Fargo team played in the Carson division, which was sited to be the most difficult because it had over one-fourth of the highest ranked teams.

There were multiple opportunities for entertainment and fun outside the competition, including a performance by the band Boys like Girls as well as numerous speakers from STEM related companies. Colleges were also available to speak to students about possible opportunities their institutions could offer. One of the major sponsors, PTC, a computer software company specializing in 2D and 3D design software, featured the Herd’s robot design as part of their advertising campaign to young students. Following, students had the opportunity to meet Grant Imahara from the show ‘Mythbusters.

The West Fargo Robotics Team, The Herd, is made up of students from West Fargo and Sheyenne High School, placed first in the FIRST Robotics regional competition held in Duluth, MN February 28th. In the FIRST Robotics Competition (FRC) teams are given a unique challenge each year and are given a six week build season to complete that task. This year the team won several awards, including the Imagery Award, at their Duluth regional and the Industrial Design Award from their Milwaukee Regional in addition to winning their Duluth Regional.

The student-led team is supported by a group of volunteer mentors from the community offering technical assistance throughout the design and build processes and during the competition. This year the team raiser over $50,000 and designed a build two robots as well as competed in three different tournaments.

The Herd students and mentors are available for media interviews. For any questions regarding this release or to arrange an interview, please contact Bailey Joy Aanenson ([email protected] –(701-866-9726). Additional information, photos, and videos can be found on our website at http://www.wfrobotics.org/.