Students get ‘Love Bombed’

Logan Ahern, Assistant Editor

The message, “you are being love bombed,” was heard across West Fargo High as seniors Isabel Waite, Skyler Stoner and their innovation hour group delivered pencils with messages to students during innovation hour.

“We wanted to share our message of thriving and let people know that they are never alone,” Stoner said. “Our main goal is to create a world where everyone thrives.”

Waite and Stoner brought “love bombs” in order to spread a message from Goetz Mental Wellness Initiative (GMWI). Within GMWI is the action project “Imagine Thriving.”

“The idea of ‘Imagine Thriving’ focuses on education to erase the stigma of mental illness,” Stoner said.

Last year for Valentine’s Day, students posted paper hearts on every locker in the school that read “you are loved.” This year, Waite and Stoner created post cards with a quote encouraging students to thrive attached to a pencil.

“We helped out with the love bomb last year and it gave us the motivation to make an even bigger event this year to keep spreading our message,” Waite said. “The positive message we wanted to spread out there is that mental illness is a problem and there are always things you can do to help improve your thought process.”

Students such as sophomore Krystal Wright thought the event was impacting and left a resonating impression.

“A lot of people don’t really want to go to innovation hour and it was really cool how everyone came in and tried to brighten everyone’s spirits,” said Wright. “[The love bombing] even made us want to be more involved.”

On February 14th, there is a nationwide Giving Hearts Day where community members are encouraged to donate to the cause.

“I love that through Imagine Thriving students have the ability to take action,” Waite said. “I strongly believe in our message to erase mental illness stigmas.”