Key Club strives for excellence

Key+Club+strives+for+excellence+

Elsa Bollinger, Staff Writer

For the first time in 14 years, the West Fargo High School Key Club group will be heading to the international Key Club Convention in Anaheim, Calif. The hard work and dedication of the members allowed them to take advantage of this opportunity that is only offered when Key Club member’s strive for improvement.

“It is the first time we have had the opportunity to go, [we] only go when kids earn their way,” Key Club adviser Lisa Mulvaney said.

This opportunity has shown just how much Key Club has grown. According to Key Club president Taylor Marquart, the activity now has 25 members. Although it seems it may be tough to know each and every member personally, Marquart said that Key Club is a close knit family.

“I can literally point out everyone and I could write a book about each person,” Marquart said.

Senior Emma Kolb, who has been involved in Key Club for two years, mentions that a great part about being involved in the club is the amount of people you get to know.

“District and international conventions are great places where people from around the area and all over the world come together and do things,” Kolb said.

The club does many different types of service projects. This year, it has mainly been involved with service projects helping children.

“The motto for Key Club is ‘caring our way through life’ so we have done a lot of things with kids,” Marquart said. “For example, we did Operation Christmas Child and packed boxes and they were sent all over the world. We have done about 800 hours of service and raised over 1,000 dollars that is donated.”

Students often have busy schedules with sports and other extra-curricular activities, but Key Club offers an opportunity for everyone to volunteer without restrictions.

“We feel that everyone should contribute to their community,” Mulvaney said.

Students also are free to pick their own volunteer opportunities that fit into their own schedule, without having to worry about requirements.

“You can pick and choose when to help so students don’t feel extra pressure and stress,” Mulvaney said.

With rare opportunities coming to Key Club for the future with the international convention, the club hopes to grow and involve more students in the community.

“Anyone who wants to help out their community and help children should come check out Key Club for next year,” Mulvaney said. “I like the fact that students get to help out other young people in the community.”